Sunday, November 2, 2008

INTERVIEW: PESCI ONE PSA


















:THE MAN THE MYTH THE LEGEND"



1.WHAT DO YOU WRITE? Pesci One

2. WHAT CREWS DO YOU REP FOR (if any)? PSA - Palm Springs Artists

3. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN WRITING? I started writing in 1989 up to 1992. I then stopped after that because of all the craziness involved with the Law, revival crews, a bad drug habit at the time, personal discouragements I was feeling with my drawing abilities & life in general.
My 20s were a growing up time for me. I really didn't start back up until 1999. Then from 99 to present. So collectively I've been at Graff for 13 years. 89 to 92 were the illegal bombing days, when I actually did write though. After that it has just been about mastering can skillz.... legally.

4. HOW DID THE NAME PESCI COME ABOUT? I wanted to use letters I liked, have a unique name that hadn't been seen or heard before & it fit my personality somewhat too. It really is an acronym: Painting Every Single Creation Intensely!!

5. HOW WOULD YOU EXPLAIN YOUR STYLE OF GRAFFITI? Man I go with whatever inspires me. If I am feeling an image and get that inclination to paint it then I will! If I just pick up my black book and just go to it with the pencil and just start drawing then if it comes out the way I want it and looks tight I want to put it to paint! My style is undefined at this juncture because I just flow like water. If you put it in the cup it becomes the cup. If you pour water in a basin it becomes the basin. My style is water, I try to adapt my art to whatever scenario presents itself. Whatever way my art comes out as is the style for that particular piece. Always clean & crisp...

6. ANY GOOD GRAFFITI STORY'S(like being chased by cops or running into some shit) Damn! How much space do want me to take up on the Blog... Hahaha
I actually have one story I'll share. This is a two incident-in-one story both in the same night. I just told this one recently to my friend Lester who actually used to be in the Rival crew I'm about to mention:
The crew and I(PSA-594) had gone to a club on the corner of Hwy 111 & Golf Club Dr. the abandoned building now & probably forever...LOL. Anyway, we all rolled up in there for some 18 and over rap concert a friend of mine, Shane Riddle, was performing in. A rival crew we had massive problems with had showed up too. Well prior to that I had just slipped out the back door by myself cuz I wanted to hit up some spots while everyone was in the club partying. The rival crew must have known I wasn't there because they saw the rest of PSA and they actually left the club in two car loads just to look for me. Meanwhile, I'm out bombing street light poles(my personal favorite) and walls on Hwy 111 and around the AMPM right there in Cat City.
I proceeded to the back of Upper Crust Pizza and the Furniture store buildings hittin some spots back there. Well, no sooner did I finish one of the walls when I noticed two sets of headlights creepin down the back road. There was a bush directly in front of the wall I had just hit up with a 2 foot gap between so I ducked down looking through the bushes watching. At first I thought it was cops. I could hear voices in the two cars hollering back to each other "Hey, the mutha fucker's tags lead right to here". At that very moment I knew it was THAT crew!!! I realized they were following my tags like bread crumbs so I just stayed motionless and hoped they didn't get out of their cars to come diss the freshly painted tag DIRECTLY above me.
They stopped right where I was hiding and I could hear them saying "Where'd he go". I thought for sure they were gonna get out and diss that tag I just did, if they would've they would have found me right there. I thought for sure I was gonna get shot or severely jumped but I just stayed calm and watched as the two car loads slowly pulled away. I remained there for another 3 minutes after they drove away and re-hid just in case the rolled through again, but luckily they didn't. So my crazy ass starts bombing again as I headed back to the Club.
I arrived back to the club and found my friends still in there having a good time. I asked my friend Shea if I could borrow his car for a little while so he threw me the keys and said "Just for awhile alright!!" I hopped into his GEO Storm, popular 90s car, and took off towards Palm Springs. Right before I crossed over the bridge below Bob Hope's house I decided to pull over and hit up this little reflector sign. So I pulled Shea's car over and turned on the hazard lights so I could be "inconspicuous"...hahaha LOL. Yeah right, no sooner did I spray out the letters PE when I noticed a cop pull up right behind me. His initial intention was to see if he could help. Once I saw him I threw the can over the bridge and started walking back towards the car. Immediately he asked what he could do to help and I told him "no problem just got a flat". At this point I blew it because his next question was "then why were you over there near the reflector sign if you have a flat?" Uh uh uh uh so he walked over to it and noticed freshly painted letters PE and boom.... BUSTED! Luckily however, I was suspected of the tag PEZ so I went with it because I had already been brought in for questioning in prior months before by Detective Parker of the Palm Springs Police regarding PESCI, which was a 3 inch thick log book of photo after photo of all my tags, throw ups & Quiksilvers I had done all over the Coachella Valley!! I'm glad I didn't get busted for the name!
That was the last night of the end of my run as a Graffiti writer. Not too long after that crazy night I decided to get my life together, get sober and move away due to all the drama in the CV that I had created for myself over the last 4 years as a bomber!!! May I remind the reader that this is just one story of many! I got away with one thing only to get caught for another man!! "Every dog has it's day", as the old saying goes...

7. IN YOUR OPINION WHAT'S BETTER MONTANA PAINT OR RUSTOLIUM PAINT? Montana paint is by far better just because the cans flow better with the caps. Rustolium is an old skool paint that no one should knock though. Without it there wouldn't be Montana and all the other paint brands we have today. I still use it but the only problem with the Rusto cans is you get aerosol issues. It works best as a fresh can but when you get down to the dregs of it, it starts malfunctioning with the aerosol flow. And also a lot of the really good caps don't fit it all that well. Especially Testers which are still a dope cap, I don't care what anyone says!!

8. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE GRAFF SCENE IN THE COACHELLA VALLEY NOW N DAYS? It has blown up so much since the early days. There is definitely a way bigger art scene here in the Desert now. I think it's GREAT that it has become so much more prevalent in the last few years. There is a lot of serious talent and I am proud to still be a part of scene after all these years of ups and downs.

9. HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE OLD SKOOL DAYZ? I don't know man... We were crazy UP back in the day if you are referring to tagging & doing throw ups!!! There weren't as many writers then as now-a-dayz but the few were definitely down for their craft and got UP often!!! You would usually see new bombs UP in Palm Springs, Cat City and DHS like every single day!! Not as much now, at least from my perspective. But in a way that could be a good thing too. The price to pay for doing Graff now is way harsher than back then so the kids now-a-dayz that are doing it illegally are puttin a lot on the line to get their name out there!!!

10. ANY SHOUT OUTS?
To my fiance Alisha Perkins(Soon to be Reller), for helping make me into the man I am today, my son Danny Jr., REZ Life skateboard wheels(Augie Yerma), KilAtWill(Lester), Cezer aka Defs, Dirt Magazine(JB), Milko Magazine in London, England coming out in July 2009(Dayo), Modify Tatoo for the paint deals they gimme(Trooper), GOR One • DPT from Sweden, Cortes NYCity and last but not least to Afiliated Clothing(Emirc Uno)... Thanks for hittin me up for the interview homie. PEACE..

LINKS: MYSPACE.COM/PESCI_ONE
WWW.PESCIONE.COM

No comments: